Welcome! And thanks for visiting!

We love comments - so please feel free to be a part of our blog by adding your voice.

October 30, 2008

Liberty vs. Charity

The word ‘entitled’ means to ‘have proper grounds for seeking or claiming something’.

Our constitution ensures that the citizens of America are ‘entitled’ to certain unalienable rights - among them life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Liberty is defined as ‘freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice’.

So, it appears that we, as Americans, were intended to claim freedom from the government establishing obligations on our part that are not in accordance with our way or thinking or choosing. That’s the form of ‘federal’ government that was established in America. That’s why the federal powers where limited to those enumerated (listed) in the constitution. They were intentionally very few.

Juxtaposed with that definition of a federal government is our personal, individual beliefs and practices. In my case, as a Christian, these are influenced by my religious beliefs whereby I am entitled (have grounds to claim) many blessings and mercies. At the same time I am called to develop a character that expresses many fruits (hospitality, loving, giving, mercy, etc.).

I would have no problem being queried about what grounds I have for seeking God’s ultimate forgiveness. My answer would be ‘I am only entitled to God's eternal blessings based on Christ’s payment of my penalty on the Cross and my acceptance of that act through faith’.

I would have no problem being queried about what grounds I have for claiming the right to retain my pay for the work I perform. My answer would be ‘we agreed that if I worked an hour you would pay me a certain amount – and I have worked that hour. Please pay me’.

At the same time – having been paid for my work – I find that my God seeks claim to what I have earned as well. He reminds me that He made me and gifted me and that I am able to earn as a result of His love. And He compels me to be virtuous about how I use what He has provided. In many cases He encourages me to be hospitable (showing kindness to strangers) and charitable (giving to supply the needs of others).

Interestingly, God also thought liberty a good idea. He viewed liberty as an essential element to his Kingdom. That is why He offers us free will to decide how we will abide His encouragement. That is why we are free in Christ to make many decisions about our personal behavior free from the judgment of man – yet accountable to Him.

As such, we find, in the Christian model, these two ideas simultaneously at work: the free exercise of liberty and charity. A call to work and good works. God trusts us to be able to properly constrain our sense of liberty through charity. And, he provides us the Holy Spirit to discern how to put this model in balance.

I love God and I believe that what He designs and what He provides is the ultimate expression of what should be. And I am thankful for the Holy Spirit which guides us.

So, I find myself trying to understand how we can apply this model to our government. I believe the founders of this great country understood this and did establish a balance. I believe they intentionally retained the difference between the concepts of Liberty and Charity in how they set America up.

Right now, what I observe is an effort (to some degrees on BOTH sides of the aisle) to subvert liberty and force charity.

On what grounds?

What are the proper grounds for claiming my hard earned money? Especially for purposes which I do not choose?

And what are the proper grounds for asking me to be charitable to people and organizations that I find an abomination?

I would love to hear those answers.

No, my suggestion is as follows: stop inventing new entitlements and stealing my liberty. Instead, move to minimize your sense of entitlement and return to teaching me and everyone a morality that encourages charity. Then trust the people to do the right thing by their neighbors.. or have to deal with Almighty God.

2 comments:

Joel said...

As citizens of this country we vote our leaders into office. You give up part of your rights as an autonomous person to live in a society of (for the most part) like-minded people. The problem being described here is when people don't like the decisions of others. For instance, I don't like the seatbelt law. I think that as an adult I should be allowed to consider the risks and make my own informed decision about whether or not I'd like to wear a seatbelt, much like choosing whether or not to wear a bike helmet. But, since more people disagree with me and think it should be mandatory, I have to wear a seatbelt. Doesn't mean my opinion is less valid, it's just not the more popular one. But that's the sacrifice I make to live here in America, and it's the same choice I'd have to make if I moved to another democratic country.

By choosing to live in a democracy, we must be willing to live with what the majority decides to do. Sometimes we're not going to like it, but that's the risk we run. That is why we are encouraged to campaign and vote.

My willingness to follow the government would shift if it commanded me to follow a law that directly contradicted God's Law. Each of us has God's Law written on our hearts; whether we choose to follow it or not is up to each person individually, policy makers and citizens alike.

And if the government makes a mistake and turns out to be a bad steward of the authority granted to them, then it is no worse then we are sometimes. We all make bad decisions sometimes. We make mistakes on occasion and are bad stewards of what God has entrusted us with. Does that mean God gives up on us? Does that mean we should give up on other people? No!

We are vessels of God's love, which is a love of redemption and reconciliation. Jesus did not come into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him (John 3:17). I haven't been thrilled with a lot of the decisions of this current administration, and I almost lost hope and gave up on thinking the process could ever get better. But I have been reminded that as a follower of Christ I am called to be a part of His redemptive ministry and to put my hope in He who has overcome the world.

God can change evil into good, can turn to light what was darkness. If you don't see it happening right now, be patient and have faith, for you can be assured that God is always at work in the world, changing minds, loving hearts, restoring souls.

The Hendersons said...

This is a minor point.. but just for the record..we do NOT live in a democracy. We live in a Democratic Republic.

The founders considered our being a straight democracy and decided against it (e.g., refer Federalist Papers #10). Specifically, to avoid 'majority voting' producing immoral and untenable injury to the minority.

The democratically elected representatives are supposed to be virtuous men who will avoid (by voting against the majority will of their constituents), when necessary, enacting improper legislation even when it is the will of a majority of the people.