Welcome! And thanks for visiting!

We love comments - so please feel free to be a part of our blog by adding your voice.

July 19, 2009

My Man Wa-Wa!

I am practically jumping out of my skin right now. I have meticulously ensured that I did not hear anything about the British Open results this morning because my man - Tom Watson was the leader. Now, I am home and watching the final round and Tom is ahead by one stroke standing on the tee of the 18th hole.

I cannot even express the hope I have that he will win. Tom is the consummate athlete and man. He came to prominence right about the time I took up golf and he was my hero when I was in high school and college. I respect and admire him so much.

So, it is unbelievable that he would be leading the British Open in 2009 at the age of 59! If he wins he will be the oldest man - by over 10 years - that has ever won a golfing major.

Okay.. he just teed off and he is in the fairway!!! He looks calm walking down the fairway. Oh, to be him right now! How often do you get a chance when everything goes just right and you are young again. I am only 48 right now and I dream sometimes of how it would feel to be young again. I can only image what Tom is thinking. Just one more iron and two putts. You can do it!!!

It's not like Tom's a hack. He's won this tournament 5 times before. And, if he wins he will tie the record of 6 wins. But, holy cow! He's doing it.

Okay.. time for his iron shot to the green..... oh my... just over the green and off the back side! He just jacked an 8 iron! Oh, crap. My chest is tight. I wish I could be there right now. Listening to all the fans cheer you on as you approach the 18th green in the final round. Does it get any better than that? How many times in your life do you get to hear people literally cheering you on to victory in anything? Then think of how many times it happens in the most unlikeliest of situations. Oh my gosh. Breath Tom!!

As I sit here typing this Hannah is just sleeping on the couch! Does she understand the situation? How can she just lay there and sleep?

Okay. Tom is going to putt it. Thud Thud Thud... Oh crap. He rolled it at least 8 feet by the hole. Yikes. Those are just the length of putts that it gets so hard to hole at age 59. Nerves of steel at 20 or 30 let you down sometimes when you get older. He's made thousands of these putts in his life. Is it wrong to ask God to bless him with just one more? For being such a class ambassador for the sport? Or just because?

Here it goes!!!!!!! Aaaarrrggggg!!! He missed it. Oh, man. I'm so sad right now.

Okay.. pull it together. He's still tied for the lead. So, now he goes to a 4 hole playoff!

Oh.. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! My recording just ended as they were getting to the first hole of the playoff! C-R-A-P!!!

I guess I will just have to look it up online and see if he won.

I hope so... but even if he didn't I am so happy for my man Wa-Wa!!

2 comments:

~joanne said...

Does a purple polo really match that argyle sweater?

Janice said...

Maybe if Joanne had been available the outcome would have been different.