Welcome! And thanks for visiting!

We love comments - so please feel free to be a part of our blog by adding your voice.

August 13, 2009

Interesting Facts I Learned Along the Way

My sister is in town; and with her return my feelings of inferiority. In this case I am referring to coming up short in the frames-per-second arena. When she is not around I feel better. Then, I hear the rapid clicking of her shutter and my soul becomes dismayed.

This sent me out googling one day to find out just how fast the fastest cameras were.. in terms of frames per second as well as shutter speeds (i.e., how long does it take to expose the image sensor?). Well, as it turns out.. my sister can feel the burn herself.. because by comparison her camera is ssssllllloooooooowwwww.

My camera: around 3.5 frames per second.
Her camera (show off): around 6-8 frames per second.
UCLA scientist's camera: 6.1 MILLION frames per second.

How fast is that? Well, the shutter speed is 440 trillionths of a second. Light itself moves just a fraction of a centimeter in that time.

Check it out: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/fastestcamera/

4 comments:

Joel said...

I love Wired Magazine.

~joanne said...

Boy, that's interesting!

Vicky said...

This takes me back to March when we were all together for Chris's graduation....I believe you were having trouble then with all her great camera equipment...but boy did we get some great photos because of the competition. Just remember to be content with your equipment...all of it!!! tee hee

grins~

Joel said...

Hey padre, whatever happened to Thursday Tweets?