Welcome! And thanks for visiting!

We love comments - so please feel free to be a part of our blog by adding your voice.

October 24, 2009

Persistence

I am not naturally gifted in many areas. Certainly, this week I've learned another area I am not gifted in: drywall. In fact, I would venture to say that I am profoundly not gifted in this area.

However, while slogging through the bathroom (yay! I'm finished!) - I have come to realize that there is one character trait that you can possess that assists in coping with the absence of other gifts. Persistence.

At the end of the day I am relatively willing to just keep going. Keep moving forward. Keep waiting and keep hoping that things work out. Keep trying.

There is no question that having unlimited skills would be ideal. But that is not within my control. What is - is whether I am going to quit when things are hard. Or boring. Or .. just a test of my will.

As I was using twice as much dry wall (thankfully it's cheap!) and 3 times the amount of time a skilled person would probably require to get the job done - I was tempted to get frustrated. Instead, I decided to simply keep moving. Eventually it would be done. It couldn't take forever. So, just keep going. I wanted to do it myself. I wanted to finish.

The final result wasn't great; but it is acceptable - maybe even good. More importantly, it's done. And now I know that if I just keep going when doing my next dry wall job... I will succeed. That, I think, is the very best payoff of being persistent. It infuses you with a sense of hope for the future. What is better than hope?

PROGRESS:

I called in an expert - Brian, who led the charge on the plumbing and electrical changes. He is a true 'sicko' who 'loves plumbing!'. I was just the shopper/helper-bee!















As a result of his expert help the tub is in! and the bathroom has been re-plumbed with copper and some electrical changes are complete (adding a ceiling fan/light as well as moving some of the existing fixtures).

With those tasks completed.. it's time to put things back together. Step 1: drywall. CHECK!





























10 comments:

~joanne said...

WOW..it looks amazing! You just might want to include a sink and toilet??

I think you might want to refer to it as 'driven'!...just a thought!

Vicki said...

Hey, I think we have the same tub! Extra deep Kolher?

The Hendersons said...

vicki. it IS a kohler 20" deep soaking tub! julie loves it.

~joanne said...

Blah blah blah....

The Hendersons said...

joanne!!!

~joanne said...

Naughty joanne!....she's just jealous, she ended up with the 'Menards Special'!

Janice said...

Can I put my reservation in now to check out the tub? It looks great.

I am afraid to start to remodel our bathroom (or any room for that matter). I think we would probably end up needing to replace three times more than we planned!!!

Tod Henderson said...

janice, reservations are gladly being accepted! come hang with us! we'd love it!

Becky Harford said...

Long live Wally World!!! Inside joke. At least we didn't require dry wall. I would like to submit my reservation in 2011 for a deep soak and some Wii fun. The bathroom is looking great! Hope the sink and toilet arrive soon.

The Hendersons said...

Becky! Ha! Wallyworld was awesome! Do you ever go by your old place to see if it's still there? It should be!

Anyways, you're always welcome. Smart to get your reservations in early ;)

Have a great weekend.