Welcome! And thanks for visiting!

We love comments - so please feel free to be a part of our blog by adding your voice.

October 11, 2009

Worth the Walk

I've been bugging Rachel to make me one of her inspired thin crust pizzas for awhile now. She offered to make me one if we came up to eat at her place. That was an offer I didn't want to refuse! So, last Friday I made the trip to get my pizza. The one interesting twist was that I decided to get to her place on foot. I live in Santa Clara. Jon and Rachel live in San Francisco. As it turns out - that's quite a walk.

How far? Well, here's my pedometer readings at the end of the trip. Including potty breaks and a couple minor navigation goof ups it turns out it's right about 44 miles while burning almost 6000 calories.











In steps.. its almost 93,000!












As it turns out, however, it's actually a very straightforward walk. You can get from Santa Clara all the way to San Francisco by walking down historic El Camino Real (the King's Highway). Then you have to do a bit of jogging through the streets of San Francisco... and you're there.















Here are a few of the sights along the way. I didn't know that See's Candy are made in California - right on the El Camino. Sweet.












One town just short of San Francisco is called Colma. Colma is basically the graveyard for the bay area - as far as I could tell. There are many, many cemeteries you walk by as you traverse the city. It definitely puts things in perspective to pass by so many people that have walked the earth; had their time; and now are gone. It was a good time of reflection.















I also had the good fortune to walk right by Harding Park where they were playing the President's Cup this weekend (America won!). Here's the closest I got to the course.. the visitor entrance!















A few minutes after passing Harding Park - Rachel called and we figured out she was about a block behind me on her way home. So, I was able to quickly grab the camera from my backpack and snap this horrible picture of her waving to me from her car. But, it was inspirational to know that I was in her neck of the woods. Just a couple more miles and I would make it.















Finally, here's my favorite spot along the route: Rachel's home! I made it. It took me 12 hours and 45 minutes - give or take. A good pace. But I was soooo glad to stop ;D My feet were extremely sore - but other than that I held up pretty well.



















When Rachel saw me out front with my sign.. she let me in and started cooking!















Oh.. and so the big question.. was the pizza worth the walk? Ohhhhh you betcha! Rachel Rocks! Check this beauty out she made just for me. Yummmyyyyy!! However you have to get there.. driving, riding, walking or crawling.. definitely take her up on it if she invites you for dinner. It's that good!

9 comments:

~joanne said...

You are totally NUTS!!! We have confirmation!

Lurinda said...

Here in Michigan there have been many discussions on your recent walk:

First we are proud you completed this venture...BUT inquiring minds want to know:

When you woke up on Friday, did you just say I am insane, I'll walk to Jon and Rachel's for pizza?

Was Julie aware of your stoll? (she was the smart one to avoid this trip.)

We just want to know if you fell down and hit your head before you took this walk or after you completed it!

And finally, as I know you have been keeping track of your walk around the world...just remember you do not have to do it in one trip...

Joel said...

I can confirm that padre: 1) had planned this walk well in advance, 2) madre was aware of the plan, and 3) that he did in fact walk the whole way. We were texting each other all day.

The Hendersons said...

thank you, joel, for coming to the defense of your father. you are a good son ;)

and joanne - just so you know - i was not talking/ muttering/ preaching to people as i walked. so that whole NUTs thing is ... well.. NUTs.

Joel said...

BTW padre, the next time you want to look "down on your luck" you may want to consider wearing something other than an Adidas jogging shirt and carrying around a digital SLR camera :D

The Hendersons said...

joel.. your astute observations make me laugh. good point. next time i take a point and shoot :D

Janice said...

We were wondering if you helped anyone with a bumper sticker slogan or a t-shirt design on your walk to the coast? Do you plan on walking to the other coast like Forrest did? Was Julie there yelling encouragement--Walk Tod Walk?

Andrea said...

Oh My Gosh.....and you thought I was crazy for doing 10 marathons...I think not YOU ARE THE CRAZY

The Hendersons said...

janice...if i did try to walk to the other coast.. i would probably quit in Indiana.. like all the rest of the residents there :D

and Jennie.. oops.. i mean Julie was not yelling at me during the walk. although she did rescue me at the end and bring me home. i think i more or less passed out in the car on the way home.