Welcome! And thanks for visiting!

We love comments - so please feel free to be a part of our blog by adding your voice.

December 6, 2009

Oops!

We had a little bit of drama / a scare this afternoon. While the girls were out walking - Julie and I decided to get the Christmas stuff down from shelf near the ceiling in the garage. I positioned our ladder with the top of the ladder very near the edge (just at the height) of the shelf instead of raising the ladder a foot or so above the level of the shelf. Julie warned me that this was not a safe situation - but I pressed on because I didn't want the ladder in the way of my reach.

Bad idea. Very, very bad idea.

All of a sudden the base of the ladder slipped out a bit (away from me) - and the front of the ladder was no longer leaning against the shelf. Instead it was plummeting to the ground. I, on the other hand was propelled backwards - my feet and legs caught in the ladder rungs. Big problem. As my legs were being pulled to the ground in one direction I fell hard on my tailbone and back in the opposite direction - right onto our concrete floor. It happened in an instant and it was a lot of force.

God was so good to me in that moment. Julie watched it and said she that she was certain I broke both legs in the fall. Fortunately - I wrenched my knees and ankles something fierce. However, nothing broke. As I lay on the ground I slowly made an assessment of the situation. I could breath without pain. My back was really sore - but I could move my weight a little. My legs and feet (the tops of my feet were scraped against the rung) were really sore - but I could wiggle my toes and ankles. Nothing broken there. Then I figure out my legs were probably not broken. Very good news.

Next my vision was all blurry - but I figured out I didn't have my glasses on. They had flown to the other side of the garage during the fall. Once Julie retrieved them my vision cleared right up :)

I shouldn't joke. This was a very serious fall and I could have done serious damage. Julie kept asking me "do I need to call 911? do I need to call 911?".

Nope - I won't say I am 'fine' - but all the parts work. My tailbone is in a lot of pain. And my legs and ankles are barking. But, I can walk - slowly. Whew!!

I did get my licks in on the ladder, however. I don't know how much force is required to bend the rungs on a ladder... but check this out. Whoa!





























BTW.. I have to tell you - I am getting instant 'feedback' lately when I do things that Julie 'suggests' I don't do. This is the most severe example - but there have been several situations in the last couple months where my lack of listening to Julie has resulted in almost immediate consequences. At this point I'm gonna do whatever she says because today was no fun at all.

9 comments:

julie said...

I am so thankful you are OK!! I thought you had broke both legs for sure.

Happy Birthday!! Glad you made it one more day!!

~joanne said...

Happy Birthday Tod! Enjoy your day!

Janice said...

You have become a statistic! Broken hips are common in falls in elderly people--Happy Birthday:)

The Hendersons said...

janice! hips are about the only things that ARE working today. yikes! thanks for the birthday wishes.

The Hendersons said...

btw - joel - if THIS is the way i get to 200 posts this year - the last one will be my obituary!

Joel said...

Hey, no one said 200 posts in a year would be easy. But if typing kills you, then you may want to rethink your career choice, Mr. Programmer. Just curious to know, but how many key-strokes did you make today?

The Hendersons said...

joel - i was referring to the fact that if i have to take 10 more horrific spills to get to 200 - i'm gonna die ;)

typing is the least of my worries today ;)

Joel said...

I got that; I was just referring to your comment from another post regarding your tired fingers. It was a stretch, I'll admit that. Gotta tighten up my game.

Andrea said...

Oh My Gosh....NOT SAFE, but I am thankful you are okay. I am also thankful you are here to celebrate another birthday. Happy Birthday Tod!!