Welcome! And thanks for visiting!

We love comments - so please feel free to be a part of our blog by adding your voice.

August 5, 2010

Obsession

Do you ever get obsessed about something?  Just can't stop thinking about it?  Dare to admit it?

Yesterday, my mind started fixating on Egg McMuffins (EMs).  I'm not entirely sure why.  It just started firing off my EM synapses - unrelentingly.  How many calories are there in an EM?  How would you make the round egg part?  How much would it cost to make an EM?  Wouldn't you rather have one of those than this oatmeal?

At lunch I walk around the block.  There's a McDonald's on the block so I went in and checked it out.  I found that an EM has 300 calories and is around $3.50 ($3.19 + CA sales tithe).  This just inspired my synapses to fire faster.  How low could I get the calorie count by choosing ingredients?  How much could I make one for?  I needed to know.

So, after work I went to Safeway to feed my obsession.  Here's what I found.  An EM is four simple parts;  english muffin, egg, ham, and cheese.  The english muffins are the biggest calorie contributor.  A standard english muffin is 150 calories.  You can buy low calorie count ones which are 100 calories.  But, you have to pay a premium for those.  I was willing to keep the 150 in trade for much lower cost.  You can buy low calorie cheese slices at 25 calories.  Ham:  30 calories.  I got slices and folded them over.. which was fine and delicious. Egg substitute: 30 calories.  (Real egg is more like 80 calories)

Bottom line:  my EM is 235 calories and the cost... is $1.02!  Ha!!

*** update ***:   new bottom line:  195 calories for $0.89.  thank you WalMart!

I tried two manufacturing techniques.  The first was to put the egg into a dish and microwave it for 30 seconds.  Then, put the cheese on top and continue microwaving for 15 seconds.  At the same time I toasted the English Muffin in a toaster oven.. placing the ham on top half way through the toast.

The second technique was similar to the first except I microwaved the egg for a full 45 seconds and added the cheese to the muffin during toasting (with the ham).

Winner?  Technique #2!  Here's the finished product!   Soooooo good!  I don't think I will ever buy another EM!

I know, I know Joanne... back to work!!

What's your food obsession these days???

8 comments:

The Hendersons said...

wow.. what a lousy picture. someone needs a new camera.

~joanne said...

Donuts..they are always my obsession or Tom Horton's Fruit Explosion muffins or Breyer's Peach Ice Cream

You do need another camera..before MI!

The Hendersons said...

amen Joanne. amen.

Rachel said...

Goat cheese. I can not get enough of it! Mmmmm.

Tod Henderson said...

Crumbly blue cheese!

Joel said...

Whole-wheat apple cinnamon scones with chai-maple frosting. And a Mexican coke. I would probably die.

Unknown said...

Milk.

The Hendersons said...

TodMcMuffin update: by shopping at WalMart and substituting a couple items... here is my present configuration:

English Muffin: 120 cals $0.30
Egg: 30 cals $0.20
Ham: 40 cals $0.14
Cheese: 25 cals $0.20

Total: 215 Calories for $0.84

McDonalds: 300 Calories for $3.19 + tax