Welcome! And thanks for visiting!

We love comments - so please feel free to be a part of our blog by adding your voice.

January 27, 2009

What Would You Do?

Update: Thank you to everyone who posted a comment or sent an email with your ideas. I appreciate it.

I posted this entry in an attempt to get people thinking and dialoging and sharing more about how to approach resolving dilemmas like making a choice between two worthwhile, good activities. I'd say there was a pretty even split between people that thought a) go to bible study, b) go to the game and c) think outside the box and figure a means of combining the two together in some way.

That was pretty interesting to me and shows how honest, good, trained, loving people can approach issues differently. I especially loved the responses that were in category c) because that is kind of what I was thinking.

To whit, here's how I decided to resolve this little, intsy conflict:

I decided to post a biblically based question on my blog and invite my OAG to dialog with me on it. So, by my way of thinking.. I participated in an OAG meeting this week: in the blog-o-space. So, that being done.. and having had a good chance to meditate and dialog on God's word... I'm off in a little bit to the game. Oh, and Diane the complete wonderful person that she is dropped of some cookies last night that I get to take to the game and share. Sweeet!!

Have a great dinner and discussion!

See you next week!

Proverbs 11:14: Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Proverbs 15:22: "Without counsel, plans go awry, but in the multitude of counselors they are established."

You might be curious.. asking what do these verses have to do with me? Well, I was hoping I could solicit your counsel as I wrestle with a difficult decision. You game?

Here's the issue. There are two events tomorrow evening that I would love to participate in. However, they are overlapping in time and miles apart.. so a decision needs to be made. Where will I be spending my time?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Your wise counsel. What you would do?

Opportunity #1: One Another Group at the Smiths
This is a meeting of our group bible study that occurs every Wednesday evening.
Considerations:
  • Mrs. Smith (Diane) cooks dinner for everyone.. and that woman can COOK!
  • Need to stop eating like a pig and lose a few pounds!
  • The distinct possibility is always present that Diane will make some of her world famous cookies!
  • Opportunity to dig into God's word
  • Opportunity to share what God is doing in other people's lives
  • Many more Wednesdays in life
  • The spiritual benefits of spending time in the Word!
  • Screaming at people during the evening is strongly discouraged

Opportunity #2: Mitty vs. Bellarmine Basketball Game
This is a meeting of our favorite high school basketball team as they take on a difficult West Catholic league foe. Considerations:

  • Consession stand food only (or none at all... probably better!)
  • Brandon always scores 30 points when I am NOT there ;)
  • Opportunity to show love and support for a dear set of friends
  • Since Brandon's graduating this year.. there are precious few opportunities like this left in my lifetime
  • Screaming at people is encouraged/expected
  • Opportunity to apply what I have learned in bible study in real life

8 comments:

Lurinda said...

Solution: Try to move the location of your bible study group to the gym the basketball game is being held at. You only lose the good cooking and cookies from the Smith's (You indicated need to stop eating like a pig). You can still have stimulating conversation on the word of God & share in God's work in others lives (watching Brandon score 30+ pts while you are there!) And most of all a night filled with screaming at people (can't see you missing that!) Remember most Brandon will only be a senior (HS) once, you may regret sharing in such a special time in a young person's life.

That's all I got for now!

Anonymous said...

oooh. i like moving oag to the game! hah!

seri q said...

game. God will be there next week.

Anonymous said...

Which one does Julie want? That is the one that you want also!

~joanne said...

I say Bible Study..grow your life...it has eternal rewards!

Although, it is a tough call..you will not be condemned to hell for attending a ball game.

These are the tough calls of life....

Anonymous said...

First, I must say white kids can reallyl jump in your blog, must be a photoshop trick!

As for your dilemma, I suggest you convince the Bible study members to come to the game and pass out tracts!

H

Joel said...

(insert sagely advice here). I say Bible study, but that's might just be the future priest in me. It's important to remember that whatever you decide to do, neither option is right or wrong; they're just different.

Anonymous said...

Moving OAG to the game is a fun idea! ....but not too practical with such little notice. A little social outing would be nice, is there another game coming up any time soon?